Stryper Dykje

The Stryperdijk, pronounced Streeper Dike, was built in the mid 16th century as an extension of the south dike defense.

Read more


The Stryperdijk was a seaweed dike: an earthen dike with a thick cover of seaweed on the seaward side. Under pressure seaweed becomes a hard, solid mass and it was therefore used for dike building.

Outside the Styperdijk there used to be marsh land that was reclaimed in 1603 by surrounding it with a dike. This is how the polder Newland was created, later renamed Stryperpolder. First there was a summer dike, but the sea broke through it regularly and it was made into a heavier winter dike.  When in 1688 the sea broke through yet again the dike was not rebuilt and the land left unprotected.

The church trustees of eastern Terschelling rented out this area as pasture.

To protect this cultural and historical heritage for the future the Stryperdijk has been passed over to the Watership Heritage Association in 2013. That same year the dike's profile has been restored and is showing a number of different coverage materials used for building dikes.

An information plaque has been placed explaining the history of the polder dike and the different sorts of stone and other covering materials. The plaque was unvailed on 9 May 2014.



  • tourist attraction

Arts & Culture

  • Tourist attractions
The assurance of:
Secure payment with: